Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Whimsical and Colorful Raven and Crow Paintings

I like to paint ravens. They might be crows but I like the word "raven" more. So for me, it's ravens. My newest ones are of ravens sitting in trees. I've been studying native american symbolism regarding the raven/crow.

For this blog post, the info on symbolism I gathered comes from whats-your-sign.com. They have so much info on their website, I find it very fascinating!

Basking in Moonlight
24" x 9"
Acrylic on Wood
Unframed
$425

In Norse legend, the raven is symbolic of mind, thought and wisdom. And in native american folklore, whats-your-sign.com says "Highly enthusiastic, and a natural entrepreneur, the Crow is quite a charmer. But he/she doesn't have to work at being charming – it comes easily. Everyone recognizes the Crow's easy energy, and everyone turns to the Crow for his/her ideas and opinions. This is because the Crow is both idealistic and diplomatic and is quite ingenious. In nurturing environments this Native American animal symbol is easy-going, can be romantic, and soft-spoken. Further, the crow can be quite patient, and intuitive in relationships. Left to his/her own devices, the Crow can be demanding, inconsistent, vindictive, and abrasive."





One Raven Looked to Another
24" x 9"
Acrylic on Wood
Unframed
$425


Two Ravens Protecting the Moon
35.5" x 27.5"
Acrylic on Wood
Framed
$850
And they say "other Native North American tribes saw the raven as the bringer of light." And that is what influenced the title of my painting below. I didn't even know that about the raven until I read it on the whats-your-sign website.

Raven Lights The Sky
27.5" x 19.5"
Acrylic on Wood
Framed
$815

Two Ravens Sit and Reflect III
Image Size: 6.25" x 6"
Acrylic on Paper
Black Frame w/white mat
15" x 12"

$225

We took some cool photos of crows on our drive back up Baja to Oregon. The below pics were taken at Playa Escondida on the Sea of Cortez. They'll be good references for me when I do my next crow/raven painting. I love the bottom photo cause he looks so magestic. He looks like he's on the look out like a sentinel.





1 comment:

Donna L. Faber said...

Hi! We are following one another on Twitter! Coming in contact with you and your artwork (which I'm really digging) happens at a time when Raven symbolism and Ravens are everywhere for me! I'm very close to writing a blogpost on said topic (not generally, but personally, what it means to me at this point). Wld you allow me to use one of your images? I would certainly give you credit. If not, I completely understand. I'm just so into them right now, you know, and this is so serendipitious (did I spell that right?)

Loving your work,
D~