Thursday, March 26, 2009

New Acrylic Hummingbird Paintings

Returning to the Sweet Place by the River
6" x 6"
1.5" sides are painted black
acrylic on canvas textured board


I've been interested lately in hummingbirds because we have some very small ones that visit the bouginvilla flowers here in Baja at our casita. We also have them in the summer in Bend, Oregon and putting the hummingbird feeders out in late Spring is a long time tradition for me. Then recently I discovered some beautiful and colorful, whimsical artwork by artist Juli Ryan and I purchased her Hummingbird Haven print at Imagekind.com which I just love!

Hummingbird Haven
by Juli Ryan


So I decided to try my hand at painting some hummingbirds too.


Living in Peace by the River
6" x 6"
1.5" sides are painted black
acrylic on canvas textured board

I like the colors in my hummingbird paintings especially the blue and yellow but I have a vision for some other backgrounds for these birds than the two that I created. I feel the same way regarding my dragonfly art. I will have to try painting more of both, dragonflies and hummingbirds, to see if I can get my vision just right. I would like to see a more fluid feeling, and more playfulness and whimsy in them as well.

I was looking for more original hummingbird paintings on the Web and found a great site at www.dailypainters.com. You can learn more about the hummingbird at this site www.hummingbirds.net


No comments: